Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The MTSU Writing Center Blog

Sometimes in the midst of talking about writing, thinking about writing, and teaching about writing, we never get around to actually writing. Remember passing notes in class? A good series of notes written across a scrap piece of notebook paper could always make the most boring class pass quickly. During my one year of teaching high school English (which I fondly remember in terms I can't use here), I threatened to post student notes on the bulletin board so we could all enjoy them. I always knew which students to watch for passing notes; they were the ones with the brightest eyes, the most alert faces, the straightest body posture. Everything about their appearances showed me they were in a state of high alert. Passing notes was an exhilarating experience indeed. And writing notes was second to receiving them. The thrill of seeing the corner of the folded paper pushed ever so slightly in one's direction promised endless possibilities. What would it say? What would it mean? Would we get caught?

If you've found this post, you know MTSU's writing center has changed the web address of its blog. We hope the format on blogger.com is easy to use and gives you a venue for all your note passing needs. Go ahead! Revisit the thrill of having your say while the boring world continues on its course. As I've heard many students protest, "It's just a note." So write one; perhaps you'll get caught!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Here's a blast from your past, MTSU Writing Center. I tutored there as long ago as 1980/1981. I still have fond memories of the MTSU English Department. Oh, how I loved my student and grad student days there! Say hello to Larry Mapp and John McDaniel from a former student who went by the name of Jackie Gearhart Christian.